The Rossell House was constructed in 1919 on Carlisle Road as one of eight residential commissions by Philadelphia architect Charles Barton Keen in Greensboro. The property has been preserved by its owner, Jackie Humphrey through the donation of a preservation easement. Easements are recognized as the strongest protection for historic properties.
Located on Elm Street in the heart of the Fisher Park Historic District, the Leak House has suffered from neglect for more than 10 years. The property was acquired by the Preservation Greensboro Development Fund in 2017 for the purpose of ensuring the future of the historic house by identifying a suitable preservation partner to oversee restoration efforts.
A groundbreaking partnership with The Christman Company has led to the preservation of a Greensboro landmark that is both historically respectful and fiscally prudent. The city is enjoying reinvestment in a key downtown building, as well as construction jobs, increased property tax revenue, and the salaried positions that come with this project.
Built in 1907, the Angle House was severely damaged by fire in 2011 and slated for demolition. A creative partnership with the neighborhood association, the City of Greensboro, two private foundations, and private investors enabled this prominent property to be restored. The house remains a private home today.
The Stern House was constructed in 1955-56 on Nottingham Road as one of the seminal commissions by architect Edward Loewenstein. The Mid-Century Modern style house and property have been preserved by its owner, Kay Stern through the donation of a preservation easement. Easements are the strongest protection for historic properties.
Constructed in 1908 for Jalie Hunt Cox, a widowed mother of two daughters from High Point, this Glenwood neighborhood house was located on land acquired for UNCG campus expansion. In a partnership with the University, the structure was relocated to Haywood Street in December 2011. It was acquired by a family and completely restored.
One of North Carolina’s most interesting Reconstruction-era historic sites was donated to the PGDF in order to preserve it for future generations to enjoy. It was sold to a non-profit community organization with easements in order to preserve it’s history.
This gabled bungalow was preserved by the Development Fund using a preservation easement to prevent future demolition. It serves as a link between the UNCG campus to the north and the neighborhood to the south.
This charming Craftsman bungalow was purchased as an income property suitable residents who would enjoy being close to the nearby UNCG campus. Utilizing funds from the 1772 Foundation, UNCG, and private investment, restoration was completed in 2016.
Greensboro newcomers have joined in efforts to revitalize the Glenwood neighborhood. This c. 1923 home was sold with a preservation easement to ensure that it remains a part of the neighborhood for future generations. The house was relocated to Haywood Street in 2011.
Standing in the heart of the Fisher Park neighborhood, this 1916 period home once under a demolition order by the city. The Fund cleared legal obstacles, and marketed the property for restoration. Today it is one of Greensboro’s coziest craftsman bungalows.
Built as an investment property in 1905, this Queen Anne-style house was relocated to the Bellemeade neighborhood using community development funds and private equity in order to preserve it. Today, the home remains a residential income-producing property.