Preservation Greensboro Development Fund
Jalie Hunt Cox House at 814 Haywood Street in the Glenwood Neighborhood of Greensboro
This home was sold in 2014 and has been completely restored
This 1908 Queen Anne-style home in the Glenwood neighborhood once housed two apartments, but has been returned for use as a single family residence. The first floor features a front parlor area, dining room, a kitchen with an outdoor access along with a bedroom and bath. The second floor contains three bedrooms and a full bath. The new UNCG campus is positioned adjacent to this house to the north.
The house was constructed by Jalie Hunt Cox, a widowed mother of two daughters from High Point. Cox was an accomplished real estate businesswoman, buying and selling properties in the Glenwood neighborhood and throughout Guilford County through the 1920s. This home is among the oldest in the Glenwood neighborhood.
The home was sold in 2014, and a complete rehabilitation was made. The parlor, dining area, and litchen were combined into one open space, and new flooring was added to unite the areas. The kitchens and bathrooms were completely renovated. New services were installed att he time. Today the Cox Home is among the many restored houses in the Glenwood neighborhood, and is protected from demolition by a preservation easement.