Walking Tour of Greensboro College Campus
May 29 @ 7:00 pm - 8:30 pm
NEW TOUR! The initial settlement of College Hill was centered around Greensboro Female College. In 1837 the trustees of the fledgling school purchased 211 acres of land south of Market and west of Cedar streets, and forty acres were reserved for the campus, the remainder to be sold to cover the costs of acquiring the entire tract. In 1838, following action by the state legislature, the Greensboro Female College (since 1920 Greensboro College) became the first chartered women’s college in the state. The campus is centered on a landscaped quadrangle, surrounded by Neoclassical Revival academic buildings and dormitories primarily erected in the early twentieth century.
Now in our 15th season of tours, Preservation Greensboro’s Urban Guide Rebecca Lowe will review historical themes and architectural styles found on the campus on a 60 – 75-minute tour. The tour will be cancelled in case of rain. Wear comfortable shoes! This tour is FREE. Meet at Greensboro College at 815 West Market Street, on the steps of Finch Memorial Chapel, located just to the right of the Main Building overlooking the expansive lawn.