Blandwood is one of the America’s great historic homes. It represents the ideals of progressive North Carolina Governor John Motley Morehead that are illustrated through a protype for the Tuscan style, one of America’s most popular architectural styles in the nineteenth century.
Constructed by Charles Bland on the crest of a hill on his wooded land, the earliest portions of the Bland’s Wood were completed around 1795. The simple two-story farmhouse was later acquired by Morehead, and subsequently expanded according to plans drawn by nationally renowned architect Alexander Jackson Davis of New York. Davis designed additions in the Tuscan Villa (Italianate) style that featured a central tower, stucco walls, and symmetrical flanking dependencies. Completed in 1846, it is considered the oldest standing example of Italianate architecture in the United States. The house and its occupants played a major role in the development of the North Carolina in the nineteenth century.
Ex-Governor Morehead, our late distinguished Chief Magistrate, resides in Greensboro’, and has, so far as our knowledge extends, the most elegant Residence of any private gentleman in the State, in which he dispences with open heart, liberal hand, and true North Carolina courtesy, the old-fashioned hospitality of his fathers. — The Ralegh Register, 1846
Today, Blandwood is operated as a museum, and provides visitors with a remarkably thorough ensemble of 19th-century art, architecture, furnishings, and landscape. The house illustrates the lifestyle of an upper-income family that was dependent on the institution of slavery to maintain their standard of living. Nominated to the National Register of Historic Places in 1970, it was recognized by the United States Secretary of the Interior as a National Historic Landmark in 1987.