For those who are members of Preservation Greensboro, look for Landmarks in your mailbox. The Winter 2008 issue features a cover page detailing the Gate City;s first skyscraper — the Jefferson Standard Life Insurance Building in downtown, and includes an edited version of Blair Kamin’s important talk on the importance of architecture to the Gate City. Other highlights include:
• The terminology of an architectural cornice
• the work of volunteers with Architectural Salvage of Greensboro
• Details of our May tour of Biltmore Estate in Asheville
• a synopsis of the Edgeworth Female Seminary (a nineteenth-century Greensboro institution)
• PGI’s annual report for 2007
Thanks to those who contributed to this issue, including Gunnar Froman, Daniel Craft, Anne Stringfield, Ashley Poteat, Blair Kamin, Faye Laverty, Judi Kastner, and our designer extraordinaire Leigh Cladakis. Landmarks is printed quarterly, and can be delivered to your door as a benefit of membership to PGI for as little as $25 annually. Preservation Greensboro is the only city-wide advocate for historic preservation and architecture. We hope you will join us in saving Greensboro’s most treasured places. Future issues will profile the work of our active revolving fund and the upcoming archaeological dig at Blandwood Mansion!