Located on Elm Street in the heart of the Fisher Park Historic District, the Leak House has suffered from neglect for more than 10 years. The property was acquired by the Preservation Greensboro Development Fund in 2017 for the purpose of ensuring the future of the historic house by identifying a suitable preservation partner to oversee restoration efforts.
A groundbreaking partnership with The Christman Company has led to the preservation of a Greensboro landmark that is both historically respectful and fiscally prudent. The city is enjoying reinvestment in a key downtown building, as well as construction jobs, increased property tax revenue, and the salaried positions that come with this project.
Built in 1907, the Angle House was severely damaged by fire in 2011 and slated for demolition. A creative partnership with the neighborhood association, the City of Greensboro, two private foundations, and private investors enabled this prominent property to be restored. The house remains a private home today.
The Foust House is a benchmark for architecture and design in Guilford County during the Victorian Period. It illustrates the holdings of a successful Guilford County farmer who cultivated 3,000-acres during the Reconstruction Era near Whitsett.
Greensboro newcomers have joined in efforts to revitalize the Glenwood neighborhood. This c. 1923 home was sold with a preservation easement to ensure that it remains a part of the neighborhood for future generations. The house was relocated to Haywood Street in 2011.
For our Annual Meeting this week, the membership and friends of Preservation Greensboro were fortunate to have Clark Schoettle here in the Gate City to talk about historic preservation, reinvestment,…