This is a new tour currently under research and development!
College Hill and its convenient location proved a popular choice for Greensboro’s Victorian-era middle class who sought to escape the hustle and bustle of the growing town. The area was renamed “West End” after the establishment of the University of North Carolina-Greensboro in 1891. Development grew then with a number of elaborate Queen Anne-style houses built along Walker Avenue, Mendenhall Street, and Morehead Avenue followed by shops and stores that catered to local business needs.
Greensboro newcomers have joined in efforts to revitalize the Glenwood neighborhood. This c. 1923 home was sold with a preservation easement to ensure that it remains a part of the neighborhood for future generations. The house was relocated to Haywood Street in 2011.