Tour of the Preyer Federal Building
October 24 @ 4:30 pm - 6:00 pm
This tour has reached maximum attendance. Please contact us if you would like to be on our Waiting List!
The L. Richardson Preyer Federal Courthouse, located at the intersection of West Market and North Eugene streets in downtown Greensboro, stands among the most celebrated examples of Art Deco architecture in North Carolina. The building was built as a federal post office, courthouse and office building. Construction was begun in December of 1931, and when the building was dedicated on July 6, 1933, more than 5,000 people attended the ceremony. Its design is attributed to staff architects under acting architect James A. Wetmore. The building was funded through the Public Buildings Act of 1926 and cost approximately $585,000 to build. Using materials such as Mount Airy Granite, Indiana Limestone, and aluminum – this building employed the modernist style for Greensboro.
Access is limited to 25 attendees, please email us to be added to the list for this FREE event.
Smartphones, electrical devices, and cameras are NOT allowed inside this site. Please bring photo identification for admission, such as a valid driver’s license or passport.