Ownership of Blandwood Conveyed to Preservation Greensboro

Ownership of Blandwood Mansion and Carriage House, a National Historic Landmark property located in downtown Greensboro, has been transferred from the John Motley Morehead Memorial Commission to Preservation Greensboro Incorporated. Preservation Greensboro Incorporated is a nonprofit organization dedicated to the preservation of historic and architectural treasures in Greensboro. Established in 1966, the organization’s first project…

Neighborhoods Pondered for National Register Historic District Status

After years of disinterest in the designation of National Register Historic Districts, Guilford County is experiencing a resurgence of activity. Guilford County was early to understand the benefits of listing historic districts to the National Register of Historic Places.  The National Register program was authorized by the National Preservation Act of 1966 as communities across…

Treasured Places Watch List Updates Concerns for Old Places in 2011

Greensboro is a city endowed with numerous treasured places, yet from time to time, some of these places are threatened with destruction. Redevelopment, facility expansion, inappropriate new development, and even neglect are themes in 2011 that cause concern among citizens who value places that hold unique personality and character. The Treasured Places Watch List was…

Architect Hughes Contributed to Greensboro’s Character

Wealth generated by the insurance industry, textile manufacturing and tobacco processing made Greensboro a focus of progressive architecture during the first half of the twentieth century. The growing business community worked within a national network of clients and suppliers demanded increasingly sophisticated designs for office and civic buildings. Simultaneously, wealthy citizens sought leafy suburbs where…

Preservation Awards Recognize Greensboro Projects of 2010

Historic preservation is about community reinvestment, renewal, pride of place, and building our city’s tax base one property at a time. At PGI’s 2010 Annual Meeting, members took an opportunity to recognize those who have contributed to historic preservation by restoring properties over the past year. Attended by 135 people, the event held at Revolution…

Crutchfield House Exemplifies Asian-Inspired Lines

From home, to boarding house, and back to a home – the Crutchfield House at 108 Cypress Street has served a number of families over its nearly 100 years of existence, and is a great example of a typical Aycock neighborhood home. Rebecca and James M. Crutchfield likely constructed this house in 1914. Crutchfield owned…

Cannon Court Brought Urban Living to Greensboro

The city-dwellers that lived the Cannon Court enjoyed urban amenities within the heart of prestigious Fisher Park. Located at 828 North Elm Street, Cannon Court is representative of pre-war housing available to modest income households in Greensboro beginning in the early twentieth century. A selection of residential units are open for the Tour of Historic…

Constructed in 1904, Beasley House Was Home to Family of Eleven!

This vernacular farmhouse-style Beasley House at 706 Fifth Avenue is among the first constructed in the Aycock neighborhood, and has been restored through the efforts of several owners over the past 25 years. Today, the house retains original details that are blended with modern improvements typical of many early Greensboro homes. Harriette and William C. Beasley were…